Friday, April 11, 2014

Mt. Maculot : Rockies-Grotto Traverse

This I would tag as my baptismal climb. I have no idea what to expect or to feel but all I want is to be with nature. My mountain climbing/hiking/trekking history starts from here.

Our meet-up was at JAM Bus Terminal - Buendia. Rode a bus bound to Cuenca and I think we were dropped off at Cuenca Town Market. From there we rode a tricycle to the Mt. Maculot jump-off. Travel time is roughly under 3 hours. It was a fair Saturday morning. 

The trail...They said that this mountain is apt for beginners but I am shocked feeling off the edge of quitting my climbing stint somewhere in the middle. That time I realized that my lower body strength is one of my weakness. This is the part before the "Rockies" having huge steps and felt my thighs are close to being numb. 



The Rockies...this is the most famous part of Mt. Maculot where you will have a spectacular view of Batangas. It is called Rockies because as its name implies, it is of pure rock (almost 1005 rock) so just be careful wandering around this area as it may be slippery and dangerous especially on the edges. 



The Summit...I was quite disappointed with Maculot's summit as you wont see a thing. There are high but not huge trees blocking every view you could think of. It is also unsafe to climb up the trees to get a view since it can't hold on an adult's weight.

this ain't the summit but the trail going to it, large and huge trees and grasses

on descent, you will experience a semi-rapelling stint


The Grotto...from the summit starts the descent to the traverse trail leading to a Grotto on a hill. Another fantastic view from here, good to cap off your Mt. Maculot climb.

view at the grotto
At the first community at the foot of Maculot, we were able to wash up in a resort for Php50. They also sell some refreshments and foods to recuperate your thirsty mouth.

No comments:

Post a Comment