Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Moalboal Tour

On this day, all of my peers are going for a one-day tour at Bohol. Since I already went there few years back, I decided to go on my own and visit one of the famous beach town of Cebu Province - Moalboal. Getting directions from strangers, I found out that I can walk from our Pension House to Cebu Provincial South Bus Terminal. It's  just around 5-10 minutes walk from the intersection of Osmena Blvd and N. Bacalso Ave. Before entering the terminal you have to pay Php5 for the terminal fee then just ask from the teller on which door is the bus going to Barili via Moalboal. I was there around 7:30 am and the soonest bus to depart is an ordinary bus or non-aircon. I took the challenge since I don't wan't to miss my schedule. It was a gruesome and hot 3 hours bus ride going to Moalboal Town Proper and the fare is Php108 (Ceres Bus Line). I appreciate the experience since I got the chance to see how the mass of Cebu Province are; but basically all are the same with Manilenyos. When I got off the bus, I hop on a motorbike or habal-habal accros the street going to Basdaku Beach or White Beach for Php50 (about 15 minutes ride). Just to be prepared to be soaked in the sun! Before reaching the beach entrance we came across two entrances with Php10 and Php5 entrance fees, respectively; I don't know what are they for but I just paid unhesitantly. By the entrance there are about two carinderias or eatery which are the only eatery I found in the place; I haven't explored the whole beach stretch but these are the ones nearest to the mainstream. I took on the one from my left which are very helpful and friendly; they offered to leave my bag to their side while I stroll the beach. I am also happy to have less than Php50 for my lunch!



Basdaku Beach, Moalboal, Cebu
my lunch at Basdaku Beach, sorry all emptied out

Basdaku Beach, Moalboal, Cebu
white sand and clear waters at Basdaku Beach; there is a sand bar out ther

Basdaku Beach, Moalboal, Cebu
though it has very narrow shoreline

Basdaku Beach, Moalboal, Cebu
clear waters!

Basdaku Beach, Moalboal, Cebu
cottages on the main shoreline of the White Beach

To  my mistake, I forgot to get the number of my former motor driver to whom I set a deal to fetch me and also arranged a price going to the next beach. Having no choice, I settled for the ones on the beach entrance for a ride going to Panagsama Beach for Php70 (more expensive by Php20 on my former motor driver; about 10-15 minutes). Now I did get the number of the driver to fetch me after few hours. By the way, Basdaku Beach is for beach bumming while the Panagsama Beach is mainly for diving since it's rocky here and there is a cliff just about few meters from the coastline. 

Moalboal, Cebu
riding the habal-habal

Panagsama Beach, Moalboal, Cebu
Panagsama Beach right outside Cebu Dive Center
A week before the trip, I contacted Cebu Dive Center for a schedule on their PADI Discovery Scuba Diving. Geom, the owner of the diving school is really cool and very prompt in answering all my questions; plus I do think they also have one of (if not the cheapest) the cheapest rates in this diving village. For Php2450, I did enjoyed my first underwater scuba diving experience. The main lesson and preparations lasted about an hour and the actual dive is another hour; and it was a one-on-one instructor-student set-up. Great! I wish to be back here for their Open Water Dive and to conquer my water depth phobia. After the dive they even had me some refreshments and had some chitchats with the owner's wife and some people there.

Cebu Dive Center, Panagsama Beach, Moalboal
the main reception area of Cebu Dive Center

Cebu Dive Center, Panagsama Beach, Moalboal
just outside the dive center

Cebu Dive Center, Panagsama Beach, Moalboal
entrance to the dive center
After spending some rest on the dive center, I hop on to my contact motor bike and asked to drop me off first to a nearby Pasalubong Store or Souvenir Shop. I was able to purchase a shirt for Php180 and a keychain worth Php50; the keychain is quite expensive but since I was collecting it, I gave it a go. For Php60 (haggled) and about 10 minutes ride, I am back to the town proper. Buses going to Cebu City just passes by this place so you have to wait. While waiting, I bought bananacue for only Php5 and walked the vicinity of the town proper. 


Moalboal, Cebu
abandoned church

Moalboal, Cebu
Rizal Statue

Moalboal, Cebu
signage and the pile of tricycles

Cebu mountainside
here's a view when you're up in the mountains in the bus
Me and my friends met at our pension house before going to our last dinner Cebu City. I opted to bring them to Larsian (Larsian sa Fuente) where the set-up is a huge ihaw-ihaw (grill) stalls gathered into one place. It was just walking distance from Fuente Osmena Circle and right beside Robinson's Cybergate Plaza. For under Php100, I am solved for the night!

Larsian Cebu
signage and entrance on the left

Larsian Cebu
food choices

Larsian Cebu
our food now being grilled


No comments:

Post a Comment