Last Tuesday (September 18, 2012), I applied for the first time for my Social Security ID (or SSS ID). Here are the steps I dealt with:
- Searched the contact number of the nearest SSS branch office from my home.
- Call them and asked the procedures on SSS ID application.
- As advised, I went to the SSS Branch Office (Olivarez Plaza, Binan, Laguna) at around 7am to queue for the number (written on top of your Form E-6 so you need to re-write everything if you downloaded the form online). At this specific branch, they only entertain the first 100-150 applicants per day and they distribute numbers as early as 7am though the office starts at 8am. I arrived 7:10am and got #47.
- I waited outside the office until my number to be called. They are calling numbers by tens and the frequency of calls are made after every 50 minutes.
- My number was called at around 10:45am then once inside we were still in a line (standing) for Step1: ID Validation. Bring at least 2 Valid IDs (you may see the list of accepted IDs from their site). As for me, I presented my passport and PRC ID.
- I finished Step1 at around 11:30am then immediately proceeded to Step2: Data Capture. On this step, you will be taken for your headshot (no required attire whatsoever) and will be asked to present again your IDs. Luckily, they have 12nn-1pm lunch break and I was a victim of that. Knowing that I might be the next one to be called, I stayed on my seat. The step resumed at around 12:50pm and I was then called; finishing the entire process at around 1pm.
- Wait, wait and wait for 6 months to 1 year before your ID to be delivered on your doorstep.
To processing time might be different on other branches as I have an officemate also took the same ID application at Cainta Branch - she arrived 9am (got #72) and finished by 11:45pm.